Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life is Good

While the rainy season started with a dousing, the weather has been sublime over the past few days. I've planted assorted lettuce and carrot seeds in hopes that the sunshine will make up for the late start. Picked many lemons yesterday, the poor tree is laden and needs a good pruning. I've never done it before but will try in the coming month.


I grew up in Chicago and took my first trip to San Francisco in January 1998. I swore I move someday but the opportunity didn't arise for many years. I was walking home from the train station late one night. It was snowing heavily and there were few foot prints. It was a lovely sight but I heard a small voice in my head say, "life sucks." I left before the following winter.

I enjoy being outside. I walked frequently in Chicago, even in snow and rain. I appreciated the beautiful gardens, quiet streets, peering in storefronts after hours but after many years, it was old. Some have told me that they couldn't live in a place like this, a place where it is warmer and sunnier through the winter. They like the change of seasons, they say. I like the change of seasons, too. Summer is warm and dry, with cool fog frequently found on the coast. Fall begins sunny and cool with blue sky over the ocean and ends with rain.
The Earth responds. Roses, azaleas and other flowers begin to appear. Winter brings more rain, cloudy skies and just enough occasional sunshine to sunbath every now and again. Tapering off, the rains carry over to the spring and wildflowers abound. For the observer, the seasonal changes are clear.

Down the street a maple is changing. Color dots the S
anta Cruz Mountains on a canvass of lush green. The smell of pine fills the air. Birds flit from one tree to the next, chirping gaily while cuckoos squawk in the distance. A hummingbird zips close to the window as I sit here, reminding me to put up a feeder. A horse whinnies down the road. Life is Good.

No comments: