Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Running, Hiking, Gardening, Reading

Boy, time flies! Here's the short of what's been going on since St. Paddy's Day:

1. Ran 2 5ks - March 21 & 22. Ran both w/o walking, won 2nd place in my age group and got a medal! Yea!

2. A gopher has decimated our lettuce and something was pulling out the little carro
ts and letting them dry out in the sun. So sad. I don't think I have felt so discouraged in...well, I can't remember. We've put out 2 packs of Juicy Fruit gum and have tried flooding the tunnels. We may have to resort to more drastic measures.

3. Joined the Tamalpa Running Club - not exactly in the neighb
orhood but these folks are an inspiration and we look forward to running with them. It's my first team and I'm excited!

4.
Mom came out for a visit. Went to Capitola Beach, had lunch at Paradise Beach Grill, walked the Big Basin Redwood loop, and went to Henry Cowell and Wilder Ranch. The weather was great and we had a lot of fun.

5. Partner's kids are visiting us now. They can be so much
fun but are definitely the products of older parents who've already raised two older children. The youngsters are still getting used to the new life of traveling for visitation which is challenging for everyone. At our house, the youngest one asks questions like; whose tablecloth is this? When I listen to her, I wonder, which words are her voice and which have been planted.

The Gopher Eradication Crew

The other day, I got a little freaked out thinking about the fact that I'm 46 and they are 8 and 10...started thinking about the teen years. Then I realized I'm going to have to visualize something warm, fun and relaxed.

6. Did surgery on the treadmill. It has been either not starting or shutting down unexpectedly. Since we moved, the walking belt slides to the right more frequently and has sliced the motor hood. Also, we found that the front roller was scraping against the bottom casing causing wear on both the roller and the casing. The amount of plastic dust everywhere was amazing.

The screw tunnels had cracked off in the past and the entire motor housing unit was loose. We sawed off the part of the case the walking belt had cut into, tightened the screws on the lower casing and vacuumed all the dust. I stretched electrical tape across the corners of the motor
hood so it would sit on top of the lower casing without slipping. It's been used last night and this morning without a problem. Fingers crossed that it continues to work.

In the gaps, I'm reading Dancing Mind, Thinking Body, a book about applying the Taoist philosophy to sports and business. I am practicing the techniques chapter by chapter and have changed my running affirmation. On a side note, there is a quote from Mark Allen, an Ironman winner, in the book. I came across it after I applied for a job for an organization he works with in Santa Cruz. When he emailed me about the interview, I didn't know who he was. Interesting.

I've also watched the Giants season opener, LOST, Marley & Me and A Family That Preys. I'm training, looking for freelance opportunities, hiking in search of flora and fauna, went to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk for a day of amusement park FUN (we got our season passes. It's a great deal... the location is fabulous, the Fireball and Wipeout are much better here then at Great America, the roller coasters are just enough and, when you avoid high traffic days/times, the lines are a breeze), thinking about running a series of seminars and trying to figure out how to co-exist with a voracious gopher. Ahhhh, life.

No comments: