Sunday, July 5, 2009

Fitter, Faster, Stronger

Fitter, Faster, Stronger; one of my new affirmations for running. As of late, I've been doing most of my workouts on the treadmill. Basically, it's just more convenient but running for over an hour proves challenging. During one of my recent runs I had to remind myself why I'm doing it. This affirmation is my answer; because I want to be fitter, faster, stronger.


To enhance my training prgram, I've started going to the track. I'm new to tracks, but as tracks go, this one is great. As I run around the oval, I look out over a small ridge to another in the distance and when I make the turn, I'm surrounded by the Fall Creek Unit of Henry Cowell, used for training by the school's cross-country team.

In the morning, the sun comes up over the ridge in the distance and warms the air quickly so starting early is imperative. Usually, there are other people running or walking on the track. Now that school is out, it's generally serene except for the occasional flock of crows fighting over garbage.

At the track, I continue my fitter, faster, stronger regimen, my goal being to utilize the facility during the summer break to attain a higher level of fitness. I have about 7 weeks and I'm doing things I've never done before. I'm also experiencing aches like I never have before. So, I just keep reminding myself why I'm doing it: to be fitter, faster, stronger!

Oh, and when I need inspiration I watch this performance by a local runner, Maggie Vessey, at the Prefontaine Classic. Hopefully, she'll make it to Berlin for the World Championships. You go, girl!

No comments: